The long weekend is only 3 days away and there’s lots happening around Muskoka! It’s Canada’s birthday and where better to celebrate than in Muskoka?
Did you know:
- Canada Day was officially made a holiday in October 1982. (The first “Canada Day” was in 1983. Prior to that it was called Dominion Day.)
- "O Canada" became the official national anthem of Canada on Canada Day in 1980.
- Color television was first introduced to Canada on Canada Day in 1967.
- July 1 is the 182nd day of the year, making it almost exactly the halfway point through the calendar year.
- Fireworks were invented in China in the seventh century to scare away evil spirits.
- The largest firework display consisted of 66,326 fireworks in Portugal on 31 December 2006.
- The colors in fireworks are made with bright burning metallic salts. The noise, or salutes, are made with titanium.
And here’s how you can celebrate Canada Day, fireworks and all, in Huntsville and area on Canada Day:
- O Canada & Canada Day Cake at 10 am at River Mill Park - enjoy music from Muskoka Concert Band 9:30-11am.
- Brunel Locks Canada Day Celebration - free hot dogs and soft drinks from 11am to 3pm.
- Muskoka Heritage Place Strawberry Social from 10am – 4pm – Museum Admission Free but Pioneer Village and Train admission applies. Free Strawberry Scones while supplies last.
- Trillium Jazz Band from 11am-1pm on the Town Hall steps.
- Port Sydney Canada Day Celebration from 10:30am – 3pm at the Port Sydney Beach.
- Heritage Huntsville Train Station Tours from 10am-4pm at 26 Station Rd., Huntsville.
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 232 starting at 11 am - family activities, BBQ lunch, roast beef dinner at 5pm, entertainment from 7-10pm.
- Girl 8 Festival at River Mill Park at 7pm - a concert featuring local female led performing artists. Admission by Donation – Supporting The Table Soup Kitchen Foundation.
- FIREWORKS! at dusk (10 pm) over Hunters Bay - best viewed from Avery Beach.
- Hang out on the beach at Colonial Bay all day, all weekend, all week...you don’t have to go back to work do you? Really?
The Howell Family